Interview with WEATHERSTAR!!

If you don't know who Weatherstar is yet I'll do you a favour and post their myspace biography so you can familiarize yourself. To listen just visit said myspace.
Bringing "huge rock choruses and clever pop hooks", Weatherstar is a force to be reckoned with.
Weatherstar was formed in the summer of 2009 by American/British singer-songwriter, guitarist, as well as multi-instrumentalist, Cameron Walker.
Since then, the band has shared the stage with national acts such Never Shout Never, A Rocket To The Moon, American Hi-Fi, Hit The Lights and more.
Recently, Walker has enhanced Weatherstar's overall sound and image with the official addition of drummer Billy Toti.
Weatherstar has been featured as one of "Purevolume's Top Unsigned Artists of 2009," landed a spot on the Vans Warped Tour, have been apart of Hot Topic's "Shop Til You Rock" tour, and have been featured in various media outlets such as MTV.com and Substream Magazine.
In just a year's time, this is just a glimpse of the band's promise.
Catch Weatherstar on tour this summer on The Caffeine and Skinny Jeans Tour with The Bigger Lights, The Graduate, and You, Me And Everyone We Know.

Have you ever been to Canada? Is there any chance you will on this tour?
CAMERON WALKER: I haven't been to Canada yet but It's definitely a goal, I really want to go to Montreal some day soon. We aren't going to be hitting Canada this time around but I'm sure it will happen in the near future. Canada rocks.

You gained your success through the internet, how?
CW: Basically I recorded an EP and released it for free on Purevolume. The thought of actually making money from these songs hadn't even really crossed my mind. I just wanted to share my music with as many people as possible. It started to pick up a lot of traffic really fast, they hooked me up with a huge ad on the front page and that's how my manager found me. Without the internet none of this would have been possible.

Sounds like you guys are totally DIY'ers, how was the self-production process?
CW: I think in some ways we are a DIY band but I definitely did a lot of work with different producers on the EP. Primarily Greg Dunn (Moving Mountains) and Jon Kaplan (Never Shout Never, We the Kings etc.) Even when working with different engineers and producers I try to be as hands on as possible from start to finish. The same thing goes for all of our design work and our live show. I have clear vision of where I want to take this project and I know exactly the kind of people I need to bring onboard to make that vision a reality.

Were you at all inspired by Never Shout Never type bands, were they somebody you listened to before you started?
CW: I hadn't really listened to Never Shout Never too much at the time when I was making the EP and I never set out to emulate his project in any way. I think are both doing totally different things. However, I do have a lot of respect for Chris, especially after seeing his set at Warped Tour. The flow of his live show is incredible as well as the way he interacts with the crowd. There's a certain purity in his set that not many bands have and I definitely found a lot of inspiration in that.

What's your musical background?
CW: I started out play drums/percussion when I was 8 studying at the Jim Royle Drums Studio in Fairfield CT. I stuck with that all way through most of high school. For a long time drums was my main instrument and I played in tons of local CT bands. I would pretty much book up all of my time playing in lots of different bands since none of them were super active, and I felt I needed to be playing music as often as possible. I started playing guitar/singing/writing songs when I was 13. My girlfriend inspired me to start writing songs and that pretty much took over my life. After high school I spent some time working with other bands to get some experiences under my belt and to really pursue music full time. First I moved out to Wisconsin to play bass in a band called Linden after that ran it's course for me I spent a brief period of time playing with a MA based band called View From an Airplane and shortly after I went on tour with Show Me The Skyline as a touring guitarist. I feel like those experiences prepared me for what I'm doing now.

You played with American Hi-Fi, do you remember hearing "Flavor of the Week" on the radio when you were younger? Did they play it? Did you like the song when it came out?
CW: Of course I remember Flavor of the Week! I'm a total 90's kid. They did play it and it was incredible. American Hi-Fi are one of my favorite bands and playing with them was a huge honor, It's one of those things that if I went back in time and told my middle school-self I would play a show with American Hi-Fi in the future I would freak out and get really stoked.

what's with the weather fetish, I mean, what's so hot about the weather?
CW: I've always been really fascinated with how changes in the weather can totally mess with your emotions and make you feel a certain way. It's kind of hard to explain but... do you know that feeling you get in the middle of your stomach right before it rains? Right when all of the hairs on your arms stand straight up and for a split second you are thinking about the person you love more than anything in the world, all because it's about to rain. That's what I'm talking about.

would you say you're an overly emotional guy?
CW: Yes.

In another interview you said that you dislike that bands compete for things as part of the industry and music was never meant to be a competition. I really like that, do you think there's any way things are going to change for the better or is the true essence of music lost on the industry?
CW: I wouldn't say the true essence of music is entirely lost in the industry. I think there are a lot of artists out there that are still making music they love because they love making music. Then there are artists that make music for the wrong reasons and I think it's pretty easy to spot those people. I've never been a fan of things like "battle of the bands" and competitions like that because they force artists to compete against each other instead of work with each other. That's the kind of stuff that weakens a music scene. I always see bands acting so negatively towards each other at competitions like that and it bums me out.

the cute pop punk is a very saturated marked right now, are you simply following the trend or will you still be around 5 years from now making the same music?
CW: This is the kind of music I've been making since I was 13 and I think it's the kind of music I will always make. I love pop/punk music. I grew up religiously listening to bands like blink-182 and The Starting Line. However... 5 years from now is a long ways away... who knows what I will be like in 5 years. Maybe I'll be releasing a pop/punk influenced Weatherstar record or maybe I'll be starting up a Peruvian pan flute band with my homies!

who's the girl that sings on Postcards? Or is that you? it's pretty!
CW: Haha it's just me... but thank you! I'll take that as a compliment ;-)

How did this go from being your solo project to having a full band?
CW: I think in a band it's really important that all of the members click. Not just musically but also personality wise. When I first started the band and went into the studio with to make the EP with Greg Dunn and later Jon Kaplan I had yet to find members that shared the same passion for the project. Recently Billy Toti has taken over drum duties both live and in the studio. He is an incredible drummer. We played in a band called Linden together a few years ago. I knew from day one that he was the drummer for Weatherstar and would have a lot to bring to the table. I think the drums on the EP are cool but I have no doubt in my mind that Billy is going to really breathe life into them on the next record.

Do you do it for the ladies?
CW: Hahaha

How do you react to the crazy fans, has obsession ever gone too far?
It means the world to me that people like my music and dig what I do. I always try to be as respectful as possible to all my fans. For the most part they are extremely nice and respectful in return. There have been a few times that things have gotten a little crazy though. One time this fan yanked out a good chunk of my hair... definitely caught me off guard and bummed me out a little but even in that situation I kept my cool and took it as a very intense compliment.

Have you ever been obsessed about any artist to the point that some of the younger fans can be?
CW: hmm, I've been obsessed with Blink 182 for years but in a very different way. I think it's good to have idols but It's important to remember that they are in-fact real people.

How the hell do you manage to have like 6 street teams/fan myspaces after one year?
CW: I have no idea but it totally rocks! I owe a lot to all the street teams. Let's make this an official shout out to all of those incredible people... Thank you so much guys! I couldn't be doing all of this without you...

Do you have a girlfriend? By any chance is her name Shay something, and is this actually her on this forum: http://images.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1340222&page=2 (just to set the record straight)
CW: I do have a real girlfriend named Shaye... However... I have reason to believe the person on that forum may be an impostor! But only she can officially set the record straight. I'll ask her tomorrow ;-)

How do you feel about people getting so worked up over you?
CW: I try not to think about it, if people are into what I'm doing... then that's amazing... if tomorrow everyone decides they are jumping off the Weatherstar bandwagon I'll still be working just as hard to get my music out there. I want people to decide for themselves but I don't plan on disappointing.


A HUGE THANK YOU TO CAMERON WALKER FOR DOING THE INTERVIEW AND BEING A WICKED SPORT ABOUT IT, AND TO MIKE FROM EARSHOT MEDIA FOR SETTING IT UP!